With apologies to those who have downloaded what I wrongly claimed was the “final” version a few days ago, I found an error in one of those last minute “improvements” I mentioned. I also took the opportunity to incorporate a couple of refinements that others suggested (thanks CR). A new version is now available for download and contains the following fixes and changes:
Drawing this subject to a close (finally!), here’s the concluding post I promised, including the fully documented and finished implementation that has been serving me well for almost 2 years. The finished implementation incorporates a number of refinements to the core framework, and those are what we shall briefly look at in this final post.
So far we’ve seen a multicast event implementation in (fairly limited) action, and dissected the core of it’s implementation, which was a fairly dry affair. I also demonstrated a flaw in the initial implementation – a susceptibility to objects adding handlers to events but not removing them when being destroyed. Before the .NET crowd get all smug, we should note that the relationship between an event source and it’s listeners is potentially problematic, in .NET also. Fortunately I devised a solution to the problem in my framework. The solution – rather neatly – was itself provided by a multicast event.
Having covered some of the basic use of multicast events, in this second post I shall start to build the implementation. In this first iteration we will provide the basics of a multicast event – managing and calling multiple handlers and the ability to enable and disable an event. The test project used in the previous video demonstration may also now be downloaded for you to experiment with if you wish.